Miserable in Minority, Happy in Majority. My Wellspring may have sprung a leak.

Well I was going to write about Sunday's Book Fair in Brooklyn yesterday but I was still fuming about what had happen at my Church. We had a vote on Homecoming Sunday for a new Reverend and there were some people who were happy with the vote. Then there was some that were, let's just say less than happy. While it's been awhile since I've been to my church I have been following what has been going on via e-mail Newsletters and such. So when I heard about our committee's choice for imcumbent, I decided to give him a look and listen.

(Since I have a feeling some of my readers may either pratice another religion, or might not give a tinkers darn either way I won't bore you with the details about our new Reverend. Of course at this point those who know where hence my wellspring springs from it may be a spoiler for those who do give a tinkers darn. Opps, my bad!)

Before the proceeding votes were taken we were given a briefing on how it would be done. Our church uses a process called Parliamentary procedure (For more info. Go to this Wikipedia Webpage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_procedure.)
Needless to say I found this definition slightly humorous and Ironic considering what followed :
At its heart is the rule of the majority with respect for the minority. Its object is to allow deliberation upon questions of interest to the organization and to arrive at the sense or the will of the assembly upon these questions.[1] Parliamentary procedure is used in organizations of self-governing people to conduct debate with the least possible friction in order to as efficiently as possible make group decisions. These decisions are usually determined by voting.
Not to many of the minority in which I was one felt as if the Effect of this style of voting had it's chosen impact. In short I felt as if the Majority had little respect for the minority and some of many fellow churchgoers could atest to the question of the least possible friction part not really happening. It was as if the Majority was saying, "Hey, we waited long enough for a new Reverend, there have been plenty of meetings on this subject as far as we're concered, and we would like to get the voting started so we could hurry up and go home to our Sunday dinners." (Or football games as the case may be!)
Some of us had more than just Sunday dinners to go home to and some of us didn't feel as if a couple of meetings were enough to get to know a Reverend. To be straight with you guys there is nothing wrong with him personality wise as far as I could see, I just thought what my church didn't need was a younger version of the previous Reverend. (I liked our old Reverend and respected very much, plus I was just a little depressed to see him retire. But hey the man worked hard so.....)

Anywho this is how the vote went for those who care. (Those who don't think of it as a window to the voting process, it might come in handy. You never know!)

By a vote of 455 to 66, with 33 abstentions.

I wanted my vote to count so I voted......
.....Now that would be telling wouldn't it?
(Mind you I did give you enough clues as it is.)

I would just like to end this blog post with a codicil : The Lord said; "Judge not others, lest ye yourself be Judged." So in that vain I'd like to ask for forgiveness. (To those who do give a tinkers darn.)
And ask for your indulgence, (for those who don't).

Peace!
Clueuin

Comments

Chris (R-NY) said…
As a Republican in a heavily Democratic city, I am almost certain my vote doesn't matter.

This city has too many sheep and lemmings for me to make a difference.

All I can do is make my voice be heard even if I am in the minority.
clueuin said…
Well as a Democrat in a City with so many Polititions with their hands out to so many lobbiest, I have to say.....

Amen to that brother,

Amen.

Peace,
Clueuin