Now First The Love!: Top Ten Favorite Meals and Snacks From Bodegas (Part Two of Six of My Love/Hate Relationship With New York Bodegas)




The reason why I titled this series My Love/Hate Relationship with New York Bodegas is because

 I have dual feelings as a Brooklynite living in a neighborhood chock oh blocked with Corner stores.

 So there are a lot of stores to choose from and a lot in my opinion to nick pick about. 

It’s all about preferences at the end of the day. 

 

Sometimes it’s about the selection and sometimes it’s about the personalities of the owners. 

Never-mind the clashes with staff. But at the end of the day it’s about the service and 

when that all jibes together with a good vibe you can’t go wrong with a great moment 

at your local Bodega Deli!


Now on with one of my favorite things about Bodegas; the food!


Counting backward from 10 here we go!


Number 10


Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Sandwich



 

 Before McDonalds famous or infamous as the case maybe sandwich; 

Bodegas have been making these tasty sandwiches for quite some time. 

Early renditions were created in England during the start of the Industrial 

Revolution. 

They were called Bap sandwiches by the way. Cool right!?


Anyway, before I digress into a history lesson let me tell you why I love this sandwich.


Bacon, meat candy extraordinaire! Sweet, salty, chewing, and oh so good. That one part of the equation.


Cheese, come on! Do I really have to extol the wonders of cheese!? Yum!


Egg is of course the protein that ties everything together!


Number 9

Toasted Bagel with Cream Cheese. (Bacon optional because I’m just a bacon nut 

doesn’t mean everyone had to add it to their bagel. 😉)



 

 

 Crunchy Bagel with various choices at your disposal. 

My fav is an Everything Bagel. But you can have any kind of Bagel you wish!

I love Toasted Bagel with Cream Cheese because it’s quick, tasty, and great to eat on the run! 

(Mind you some people on my local bus route may have a problem with me eating a Onion laced bagel

 there but…🤷‍♀️)


Number 8


Toasted Butter on a Roll. (Sometimes with Jelly. Are you sensing a theme here?)

 

 Pin on NEW YORK, NY.....and.....It's People!

 

Same thing as with the Bagel with the added bonus of being sweet and great with coffee!

Number 7


Gyro (Lamb, Beef, or Chicken)

NYC Gyro Delivery & Takeout Restaurants | Seamless

 

 

 I’d like to offer up my thanks to the generations of Greeks and Turks that invented the Gyro.

 (Asked me if I care how it is really pronounced? 😁)

 OMG I just love everything about it! From the Tzatziki sauce to the diced cucumber combined

 with my meat of choice! All that wrapped up in a pita! Oh. So. Yum!


Number 6


Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Yes again with the Bacon!)

 

 

 Back to the basics: Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich : r/ketorecipes

 

 

 You don’t have to add anything to this great sandwich but it’s great with just

 about any ingredient you want! I even hear that there are some crazy people out

 there who like it with Tomato!

Number 5


Pastrami On Rye (Some crazy people eat on White Bread. Eh, go figure!)

This N.J. pastrami palace was named one of the country's best Jewish delis  - nj.com

I just love this with mustard! Nuff said.

Number 4


Dill Pickle Goes with all these sandwiches listed above or all by itself! A great snack!

National Pickle Day: 5 facts that make pickles a big dill | CNN

Number 3


Empanada

 Beef Empanadas | Just A Pinch Recipes

 

  Another great snack that goes with just about any meat filling as well as just any filling you

 can think of. However most Hispanic/Latino Bodegas go for the most traditional meat and/or cheese

 filling. Combined with the fried dough it rocks so much as a quick snack.



Number 2


Ham & Cheese Hero

 

 BROOKLYN DELI - 19 Reviews - 115 Willoughby St, Brooklyn, NY - Menu - Yelp

 

  Now as far as I’m concerned you can in fact order any kind of sandwich combo

 you want in any combination. I mean that’s one of the best selling points of a Bodega to me in my opinion. However, as I say this I really Love this sandwich combo! My school trip memories are filled with this sandwich. So this has become my go to sandwich.



Number 1


Roast Beef Sandwich


 Roast Beef Hero at Clemente's Fine Food & Catering on Foodmento

 

  Now if you were paying any attention to the food choices on this list you’ll know where this is going.

 But wait before you go there in your head saying; “Gee, this chick sure is really into sandwiches!”,

 give me a second to explain. 


There are not as many Bodegas that can really make this sandwich well. There I said it.

 When you find one that does you will just know and that’s when you know that this has become your

 go to store to go to all the time every time!



Well that’s my Top Ten Favorite Meals and Snacks from Bodegas! Agree? Disagree? 

Have any of your favorites that you want to tell me about? Please share down in the comments!


Tune in next week for another installment in the series.

 Don’t forget to stop by my YouTube page at

 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO4YSUYfOYnvlATe3df8BtA !









 



Comments

Popular Posts